Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Ode to Good Character in the Fencing World - or - Those Amazing Ladies in Nebraska


After wrangling over God in my last blog let's go to something a little lighter.

Like character. As if that's light. ;)

Anyway.

If you know me very well at all you can see the fun I'm having through my body language in this picture. I just learned to like these women so much!! And they are most all grinning at me as I just climbed up on that podium.

They were so unbelievably awesome. And I'm excited that we are all planning to be at a Tournament together in May in St. Louis. I cannot wait to see them again.

Which brings me to the topic of this blog.

Character.

Those who have known me since I could walk know that most of my life I have believed that character really mattered. Then I went through a long season where I saw so many people that thought it didn't and I begin to believe maybe I was wrong. Got to the point where I was just weary of it and started to think it just wasn't worth the effort.

I had thought it was a part of loving well (which is the goal of my life even though I am still learning thus not so good at it) but it didn't seem to bless anyone.

So. I was on the verge of just giving it up. Then I encountered fencing. And Kelly.
(Which is a previous blog.)

As a result of those two factors I re-grasped that character really does matter.
How you treat people IS important.
They should be honored by your actions, or at least the clean-up of your actions, even if they do not understand or appreciate it.

So, I went into this tournament in NE with my highest goal being "love well through actions, attitude and character." I could not have cared less if I won or not.

Apparently I was not the only one with this desire.

These women were off the charts awesome.
They found out it was my second ever tournament and that I had only been fencing 5 months and they totally took me under their wing. Not that they didn't fence their guts out with me, they did.

But thus I saw that balance I hoped existed. The "I am your friend off the strip, I am gracious and mannerly on the strip, but I will do everything I can to beat your behind when we're out there. But, kindly." I want to be like this!!!

We all gave each other a run for our money, yes. Almost every match was really close.
And off the strip they gave me advice.
Praised me on all the things I did right.
Never once looked at me like I was an idiot or talked to me like I was an idiot...... like when Karen was talking about the fencing season and I said "oh! there's a fencing season?" She looked surprised and I said "I'm sorry, I didn't know there was a fencing season" to which she responded "No, no that's ok. Here, I'll explain it to you." And she did.

I learned so much from these women because they too loved the sport and wanted to share that love and all possible information with me. It was so obvious that, for them as for me, this was about relationship not just about fencing.

Sure, you tired hard. Sure, you trained hard. But before everthing else was relationship.

And, as I've said, they did it well. Thus is good character.

When I got hurt they apologized. And gathered around to help fix it.
When I was confused they explained.
When I was lost they gave me direction.
When I complimented, encouraged or apologized they didnt blow me off but said "thank you."
After I beat them in DEs they became my coaches.
Two ladies, Karen and Kat coached me through the gold medal bout.
IT WAS SO AMAZING.
I don;t think I've ever seen anything like this in my life.

I afterwards wondered how I did with my goal.
And I reflected back on comments and looks from everyone and think I also acheived my goal.

When we all gathered I introduced myself and got everyone's names.
I'm naturally shy with strangers even though I love people so this is always hard.

When on the strip and my opponent scored a touch I always got excited with them.
This is normal for me but once I caught the pleasantly surprised looks of the others and thought "Oh! I loved well!!" (whew)

Several people commented on how I kept calm and was always poised on the strip no matter what happened. Also a relief because I feared getting frustrated or upset like I can at home.

But I think the most relief filled moment was after it was all over and Karen said to me that she was so pleased that I had been there because even with all that happened I was not at all arrogant about it.

And I came out of it with friends that I look forward to seeing again in a few months.
I guess that is the greatest indicator of having loved well and shown good character on all of our parts.

I guess it is worth it. For sometimes the fruit of good character is happy relationship. :)

And as I write this I realize that I need to clean up my act at home a little.
Those I am with the most should get my best, not my worst.
I really really want to love well.
Very well.

Character.

Thanks ladies for everything......

1 comment:

  1. Leigh,
    This reminds me so much of my experience running, with everyone working together to help everyone excel. I sure miss these kinds of relationships. I keep wanting my church family to be this way, but nobody else seems to get it.

    ReplyDelete