Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Of Fencing and Killing Lions On Snowy Days


II Samuel 23:20b "He (Benaiah) also went down and killed a lion in the middle of a pit on a snowy day."

This verse has always fascinated me.
And the other day I discovered a book entitled "In A Pit With A Lion On A Snowy Day."
Needless to say I could not resist it.

It was about conquering your fears and going after life whole-heartedly.

Huh. Very appropriate since that's where I find myself these days. This whole past year actaully. Going down into pits to kill lions.

It was odd that the opening chapter contained thoughts on how Benaiah was the under-dog in the fight on that snowy day. The author observed that no one would have bet on Benaiah to win. But he did. And in the process the author observed he probably was conquering fears.

Granted, none of us was there, nevertheless I cannot imagine chasing a lion into a pit of any kind and not having the fear/exhilaration adrenaline mix.

So, my point?

As I read that section it stuck me that I too killed a lion on a snowy day.
Sunday twas a week ago in Lincoln, NE (on a very snowy day.)

I cannot fully explain it all.
Yet, I KNOW that it was a God-thing.
There really is no other explanation.
And it did build a confidence in me.
It also settled me down at various internal levels.

For, indeed, fencing and all the things it has been dragging out of my inner man, has been a lion.

I have found myself in so many fearful situations.
On spiritual, physical, emotional and relational levels.
I have discovered good things about myself and rough edges that really need to be filed.
And I have encountered God.

I have been battling lions in the fencing center for almost 6 months.
And I know that there are more to come for God is using fencing for fencing's sake but He is also preparing me for other things.
There are more fears.....more lions.....that will need to be dealt with.

NEVERTHELESS.

I killed a lion on a snowy day.

Indeed, maybe all things are possible with God. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment