Sunday, March 8, 2009

Feminine Fighters - - A Delightful Paradox?


The one lesson I have not yet taught in PureHeart is "The True Feminine."

Maybe it's the one I'll be teaching in April/May for it's sure been on my mind lately.

And even moreso this week as I mull over what it might look like to fight in real life, as opposed to in a tournament.

What does that look like as woman?

Is it possible to be formidable in battle and still be....well.....female?

Do I have to maintain a constant desire to run around shooting people, being strong, winning everything, having a "get over it" attitude?

On the other hand, do I always have to be weeping over things, patting an offender's hand, being all mushy, compassionate, blowing every offense off or whatever?

A la Dean Sherman (YWAM) I am aware that (and I quote) "if you stand naked in front of a mirror and you have female parts you are a real woman, if you have male parts, you are a real man."

True. But there's a bit more to it than that.

What makes one not female, but feminine, and can that be maintained in a battle?

I believe, that what makes one feminine is the inner world.
The state of the heart.
How you treat people.
Being tender yet strong.
Not outward adornment, as it were, but inner beauty.
Wholeness, steadiness, strength, compassion, gentleness, good boundaries.
Steel Magnolias.

I had a friend who was, ah, "switching lifestyles" and went on an irritating tangent about pink.
It became as if every woman had to wear pink.
If you wore a pink shirt automatically you were feminine.
It absolutely drove me insane.
To the point where I was ordering a fencing bag and informed Kelly that it could not be pink.
I kept thinking in this situation: "no, you're a jerk, that's what makes you not feminine. Not the lack of a pink shirt. Honey, tenderize your heart."

Yah. It makes sense.
The inner workings of the heart.
The ability to be vulnerable and walking in that.
Gentleness, kindness, tenderness.
But also knowing when to be tough.
Not mean, not a jerk, just standing firm.

So, it is possible then to be a feminine fighter.

It's to not live in a puddle all the time.
It's to not be angry and cynical ever.
It is to be tough and know when to fight.
And fighting hard.
And weeping afterwards because the world should not have to be this way.

It's being both and all.
Knowing when.

Appropriateness.

True Femininity.

No comments:

Post a Comment